Thursday, October 28, 2010

Write-Right-Wright OH MY!

One of our goals this year is to improve our writing skills. So to that end, I signed up the kids for a writing class. Well to be exact Lauren and Alex (son) is doing one writing class. And Lauren and I are doing another one online. The local writing class is using Institute for Excellence in Writing. The other is Mrs. Morecraft's writing class we signed up through Vision forum. Because one class would just not do!
There was a writing contest for the kids to enter and so the very helpful mother that I am had my daughter dictate to me her story. This would save time, and I was pretty good at writing oh some 20 years ago. Looking it over... Is it double spaced? Check! Spelling correct? Check! Word count within limits of the rules? Did some edits then ..Check! Well all is well right? NO! I failed to print it out and revise it. After I sent it off I printed it out and was then mortified when I found all the errors I, yes I made! I capitalized words that should not have been. I added commas and apostrophes where they were not needed. This is just a sampling of my many errors. So much for a good editor!! I checked my daughters paper and did she have the several errors I just mentioned?? NO! Sure there were other errors but it was pretty mortifying seeing all my glaring mistakes that I added to her paper. So I could definitely use a refresher after so many years out of school.
To this end here are some books our Writing Class Teacher Mrs.Kathy shared with us. I already bought them ALL! I intend to get this punctuating, apostrophy,grammar thing figured out! Don't even think about checking for errors in my post! LOL!

Woe Is I: The Grammarphobe's Guide To Better English

Twenty-Odd Ducks: Why, every punctuation mark counts! by -Lynn Truss

Eats,Shoots And Leaves-By Lynn Truss **There is 2 books with this title a fun kid level version and a more in depth adult version

The Girl's Like Spaghetti: Why you can't manage without apostrophes! by- Lynn Truss


Though I have not received it yet I just purchased Fix-It! Grammar and Editing made easy - By IEW I will have to blog on how it goes with the book later this year!

Well this whole thing has been quite humbling. Reminds me yet again that we all could use help in one area or another. Some more than others. It is wonderful to have so many resources available to choose from. The hard part is finding a space on the bookshelf!!

Happy Homeschooling!! Tammi

No comments:

Post a Comment